Saturday, August 12, 2017

Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and yes, Wall Drug




Today's Travel: Chamberlain SD to Spearfish SD= 235 miles
TRIP TOTAL= 2,137
Beep Beep! We arrived at the Badlands today. Too many curves and edges for me. There were a couple of times when I just closed my eyes. Good thing Jesse was driving.
The Badlands just pop up out of the prairie, This is our view as we approached. I am posting some of the pictures, but once again, they just do not do justice to the panorama.



Here I am at an overlook, with a huge valley behind me.
We leave the Badlands behind.
Between the Badlands and Mt.Rushmore is Wall Drug. This store is one full city block. Jesse and I had buffalo burgers for lunch here. We left pretty quick, as it was just sensory overload for me.
Took our pictures with the presidents, checked out the sculptor's studio to see how it was made, and hiked the "President's Trail." If this is any indication, I will have a tough time hiking when we get to Glacier. Jesse, who bikes to college 7 miles each way, had no problems.
Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Lincoln.Yes, there really is a secret vault behind Lincoln (no visitors allowed). 

These pictures of the Crazy Horse statue were taken only about 30- 45 minutes apart. A storm passed through the area as we arrived. This is not a national park. This carving was commissioned by a native American chief and work was begun in 1948. It is totally privately funded by admission price, donations, and sales. There is an amazing cultural center with native American items, paintings, and history. There is also a scholarship program for American Indians, and the eventual goal is to have a 4 year college and medical school. Quite impressive. To give you an idea of the scale, Mt. Rushmore would fit completely inside the head of the carving. You can see the profile above the tunnel.
FUN FACT: We saw bikers (Harley Davidson, not Schwinn) everywhere. We are near Sturgis, SD & it is bike week. Yes, this is where we are staying. Tomorrow we head out for Billings, Montana. 


4 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of curves and edges either. Beloved wasn't able to convince me to go up Pike's Peak in Colorado. Fun fact - I didn't know there was a secret vault behind Lincoln. (I guess it's not so secret if everyone knows about it. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos. 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos. 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just started reading your blog. Thou are covering lots of miles quickly but seeing so much. Be safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Was it worth it?

Have passport, will travel!      After I posted about the Eclipse on facebook, a friend commented, "Was it worth it?"      ...