Friday, August 11, 2017

South Dakota: Great Faces, Great Places

Here we are in South Dakota! If Teddy Roosevelt was here with us, he would say "Bully!" We had a very good trip from Council Bluffs, IA to Chamberlain, SD.

Today's Travel: Council Bluff IA to Chamberlain, SD= 316 miles
TRIP TOTAL= 1,902
Here's a typical scene from South Dakota just as you cross over from Iowa. The land is devoted to farms, mostly corn. As we approached Chamberlain, which is in the central southern part of the state, there were more ranches with cattle and less farms.

So, I've been cautioning Jesse to drive the speed limit. Well, in South Dakota the speed limit is 80 miles an hour! Jesse was glad to drive the speed limit here. 

When it was my turn to drive, I was not sure about taking it up to 80 miles an hour (if we hit 88 will we be thrown back in time?). However, the roads were so straight, and the curves were so gentle, and the traffic was so sparse, and the towns were so few and far between, that I was soon driving 80. Stretched my comfort zone just a bit.
Chamberlain is located on the banks of the Missouri River. This is the view from the Lewis & Clark scenic overlook at the rest stop outside of town. My camera cannot capture the majestic beauty of this place. As you can see, the weather was perfect.
This statue, called "Dignity" is also at the overlook. The statue is 50 feet high and quite stunning.
This sign was also at the overlook. We don't see many of these at the rest stops in PA.
Last but not least, I wanted to add this picture of the Sinclair gas sign. I have not seen Sinclair & the dinosaur logo since I was a girl in Michigan. I thought they were extinct (get it?). 
OK, I must be a little tired so I will sign off for now. The plan for tomorrow is to drive through the Badlands, stop at Wall Drug Store, then on to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.    



1 comment:

Was it worth it?

Have passport, will travel!      After I posted about the Eclipse on facebook, a friend commented, "Was it worth it?"      ...