Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Lessons Learned

Hello everyone,
     It's been 5 months since Jesse and I left for our Eclipse Adventure. I've had time to reflect and sort out what really has remained with me from this experience. I wanted to share it with those who have followed along with us.
     First of all, I realized I have wonderful friends who encouraged and prayed with me all along. My husband Mike supported and encouraged me, and remained home to hold down the fort. I want to thank you all. Without your prayers and practical help, I don't think I would have ventured out.
     Here are some other nuggets:

*  AMERICA is an amazingly beautiful country, not only the National Parks that people flock to see, but every state, even if all you see is from the Interstate Highway.

*  The CULTURE is very different west of the Mississippi. Kate called it "the code of the West." If you see someone on the road, you stop to help, because you are literally out in the middle of nowhere: no AAA truck, no phone service, and no town for miles. We drove 97 miles from Shoshoni WY to Casper WY and there was literally no gas station between those two towns. I never let the gas tank go below half full after we left St. Louis.

*  WALMART is everywhere. So are other chain stores, to a lesser degree. In some ways it is welcome/ familiar/ convenient, but also monotonous.

*  ONE visit to Wall Drug is enough. I would return to every other place we stopped. I would like to go to Chamberlain SD again, but it is very remote and can only be included on a road trip like this.

*  Driving 85 MPH in South Dakota is VERY different from driving 75 MPH on the PA Turnpike.

*  ALWAYS have a plug and cord to charge your phone in the car. If you don't have one, stop at the next Walmart and buy one.

     See my next post, "Was It Worth It?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it worth it?

Have passport, will travel!      After I posted about the Eclipse on facebook, a friend commented, "Was it worth it?"      ...