Monday, August 7, 2017

Risking An Adventure


Pocketa-pocketa-pocketa... I feel like Walter Mitty, leaving my ordinary routine at home and starting a journey. Or perhaps, more like Frodo, who is most comfortable in his humble cottage, but comes running down the path in the shire shouting, "I want an adventure!" The total eclipse of the sun is an event so awesome, that when I learned that it would be visible in the USA on August 21, 2017, I began to make plans to see it. I began researching over a year ago, but did not share my plans with anyone but family, as the possibility of arranging the trip seemed too fantastic to believe. But now, here I am, on the first leg of a journey that will take me and my son, Jesse, on a road trip from Philadelphia, PA to Shoshoni, WY to see the eclipse. I have my passport, "just in case," and a copy of the movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." I invite you to come along with me, gray- haired church lady & nurse to preschoolers, as I step beyond my comfort zone to see the event of a lifetime.
On Saturday, August 5, our first stop was Westfield, NY. We left Philly and arrived in Westfield about 4:30 PM to attend the graduation party for my niece,Elyse. Here are Elyse and my son Jesse, and Yorkie, Barney. 


Sunday August 6 was a rest day. It was sorely needed, and Westfield, the quintessential small town, was the perfect spot. Westfield is noteworthy in that it is the center of Welch's vineyards. The grapes are gathered from the surrounding area and sent here to be processed. There is a small park at the center of town that commemorates the visit of Abraham Lincoln in 1861. A young girl, Grace Bedell, wrote to him suggesting that he grow whiskers. He stopped to meet her after he was elected.

We used our respite to prepare for the next leg of our journey. Here's a demo of our eclipse glasses with the special filter lenses. 
Time to move on, America awaits. Westward ho!
On Monday, August 7, we bade farewell to my sister Cynthia and her family, and drove from Westfield, NY to Petersburg, KY. Here is a shot of the Ohio scenery we enjoyed along the way.
Today's Travel: Westfield NY to Hebron KY= 377 miles
TRIP TOTAL= 795 miles

3 comments:

  1. Great pics, Gail! It looks like both of you are enjoying the journey. (Love the Mr. Potato Head characters!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Joe Cool look with the eclipse glasses. Can't wait to try mine on and get in on the action

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos praying for safe traveling. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Was it worth it?

Have passport, will travel!      After I posted about the Eclipse on facebook, a friend commented, "Was it worth it?"      ...