Friday, August 18, 2017

Sick Day; Local Sights

Our motel, the "Circle R"
      Today's Travel: about 20 miles (round trip to Two Medicine)
     I woke up Friday 8-18-17 to discover that the sore throat that I had been fighting could no longer be ignored. The day before, on our way back from Many Glacier, we had seen the valley of St. Mary Lake filled with a haze. The smoke from forest fires on the west side of the park was drifting through the valley to us on the east side. Breathing the minute particles was probably the tipping point for me. The demands of the trip, and probably the stress of high altitude, had caught up to me. I decided to spend the day resting. After driving Kate to Two Medicine so she could enjoy her favorite spot in the park, I took several long naps.
Another visitor to the park saw me stopped to take a picture of the sign, and insisted that he take one with me in the picture. I returned the favor for him and his wife.

Something you don't see Back East: a cattle grate and a people gate. Cattle range freely in East Glacier, so to prevent them from coming into the hotel area, a grate is put across the road as the cattle will not step on the slats. People use the turnstile rather than a gate.

Another picture of Swift Current Lake and Grinnell Point, just because.

FUN FACT: Glacier was established as a National Park in May 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it worth it?

Have passport, will travel!      After I posted about the Eclipse on facebook, a friend commented, "Was it worth it?"      ...